Friday, February 20, 2009

Plant Biodiversity Still Alive

Today I had a full audience with my friend and students discussing plant diversity. In the morning Mr. Mathew Wong a businessman turned naturalist came to discuss the possibility of describing a new rafflesia species from Kelantan, Peninsular Malaysia. This species is closely allied to Rafflesia kerrii but differs from it in (a) five prominent tongue-like appendages coming out from the rim of the diaphragm (b) two circles of warts on the diaphragm (c) twice branched ramenta on the upper portion of perigone lobes (d) number of processi, amongst others. Then my PhD graduate student, Ms Lee Gaik Ee came in smiling and thinking that she might have discovered a new species of Leujenea (Liverwort), a specimen collected by a Japanese collector some times back. Of course it is possible to get suprises or bonuses like this in a systematic study of especially Malaysian liverwort, a much neglected bryophytes. After all no Malaysian is studying liverwort in Malaysia to-day except her. I urged her to start describing and illustrating it and possibly get published as a prerequisite for her PhD work. Then Ms Aishah Hanum came in smiling too, thinking about her molecular studies of Lycopodiaceae. As far as we know there is no molecular study on this group of fern-allies. Before lunch Mr. Yasser Mohamad Hassan, my Egyptian MS student came in to hand his thesis on systematic studies of the genera Kayea and Mesua (Guttiferae), He too found some new records of Malaysian taxa and possibly new species of Kayea. One obvious bonus is to combine Mesua corneri Kochummen with Kayea, a combination which we urged the late Mr. K. M. Kochummen to do some years ago. Late in the evening my MS student Ms. Anisa from Yemen came in to hand me her final draft of her thesis on systematics of Neolitsea. She thinks Neolitsea sp. of Kochummen is a variety of a variable N. cassia (incl N. zeylanica) and specimens collected from Gunung Brinchang, Pahang may prove to be different from the other species recognised.

4 comments:

DaVillaiNz said...

hehehe..u wanted me to comment on your page so that it will leave the impression that people actually read your blog..i DO Read your blog Prof..
Don't worry, it is about how you want to express yourself, and not about how many people read/comment..
Am i making sense here?

pakteh said...

Appreciate your comments. Not that I am saddened by the fact that my blog is not read and visited by fellow bloggers but I thought there were some things that my students and friends could benefit from reading my wild thoughts. I must say my blog is apolitical but a bit academic and heavy though.

The Egyptian blogger said...

Dear Pak Teh

it is pleased me and cooled my heart to read your diaries here..especially that part of my previous work..I wished if I can do the same one day. I promise you to follow it up, reading and Commenting....

Yasser M. H.

The Egyptian blogger said...

Without a doubt. This worked well and creatively. To record day to day what you see and what they do at the university

And whether it benefited the students and people .. enough for Dr Latif to the cut of his time , home and his responsibilities to score this diary for the benefit of those who want to benefit
And learn for those who want to learn
I wish from the esteemed Dr. Latif those diaries to be collected at the earliest time and send them to the press to be printed in a book
Service to science and history